Different people have different definitions of what constitutes an emergency.  The best definition of a maintenance emergency is something that cannot await my return call and which causes serious damage to the premises, your health or safety, or your personal property if not handled immediately. Please read this entire page carefully before proceeding. 

I have several individuals you can contact provided:

a) You have made a reasonable effort to contact me, and
b) You have a genuine maintenance emergency that can no longer await my response.

If you contact these individuals without first doing the above, you will be responsible for the cost of the service call.

If you lock yourself out you will need to call a locksmith at your expense if I am unavailable.  Keep in mind that breaking a window to get in will cost more than a locksmith.

If you have a water leak, you can temporarily shut off the water using the cutoff valves below toilets and sinks.  If you live at University Gardens, you can also turn off your water from the rear of the building as mentioned in your lease.  (Units A-10 through A-18 have the cutoff handle by your water heater in a closet.) If you are at InnTown apartments, the water shutoff for units 2 through 7 are under your kitchen sink.  For unit 1, it is outside in the ground underneath the window next to the office door inside a black plastic box.

For electrical problems, first check your circuit breaker or fuse box before doing anything else. To reset a breaker, you have to flip it all the way OFF before flipping it back on.

For appliance problems (refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer, etc.), call Dan at 919-612-1570, Bill at 919-417-1975, or A&E at 800-905-9505.

If you reside at Brookside or Chapel Hill Inntown and/or if you have CENTRAL heating, CENTRAL air-conditioning, or hot water problems, call 919-929-7001.

For all other issues, including WINDOW a/c units, baseboard heaters, or hot water problems, try calling (in this order) Larry (919-260-8531), Steve (919-623-0053), Mike (919-730-2059), Phil (919-723-8160), Dan (919-951-9699), or Curtis (919-730-9040),

If you have a plumbing problem and can't reach any of the above individuals, you can call Dickie at 919-730-6291, Chris at 919-265-4026, or Danny at 919-201-9530.

If you have an electrical problem (not involving appliances) and can't reach any of the above individuals, you can call Rodney at 919-998-0016.

As a last resort, use an outside repair company.  You will be reimbursed provided it is a genuine emergency that cannot await my response and/or a response from the individuals mentioned above.    Furthermore, if you call more than one person, you are responsible for ensuring that only one person responds to the emergency.  You would be responsible for the cost of multiple service calls for the same situation.   For example, suppose you leave messages for several repairmen.  One person calls back and promises to come at 4 pm. Later a 2nd person calls back and says he can come by at noon.  Before accepting the 2nd service call, you need to make sure that you can cancel the first service call that you had already arranged.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.